Our Commitment to Antiracism
DevaCurl is committed to being an antiracist organization. Antiracism is not a short-term focus for us. It is long-term, something we will continue to work on and build into the foundation of how we conduct business every day.
We wanted to provide you, our Deva fam, with an update on this commitment. We’ve spent the last six months focusing on making changes that support antiracism.
What We’ve Done So Far
- Increased diversity in our leadership team:
Black executives – from 0% to 25%
Latinx executives – from 13% to 25%
- Conducted antiracism training for our corporate and salon employees to help us work together to identify and dismantle white supremacy in the workplace and beauty industry
- Partnered with diversity experts who continue to provide counsel on our antiracism commitment, how to use our platform to educate, and informing our company values and path forward
- Added an Advocating for Equity goal as a key component of employee performance reviews
- Donated to Black Lives Matter, The Okra Project, New Alternatives and the NAACP
- Partnered with Black artists, creators, and founders to showcase their work and increase representation in our content
- Created a vetting process to ensure our external partners share our antiracist commitment and values
Our Goal for 2021
We are committed to be an accomplice for underrepresented segments of the curl community and changing what representation looks like in our industry and what equity looks like in our communities.
Our 3-Pillar Commitment
Ensuring that we are reflective of our diverse DevaCurl community both internally and externally. You will see more representation in our leadership, brand imagery, content creators and business partners.
Sharing best practices within the industry around education on racial injustice issues, curly hair, and the intersection of the two.
- Community Investment
Setting up company structures that promote financial independence for communities of color and focusing our philanthropic efforts to build these same communities.
Advocating for Equity
It’s not the job of a few members of the company to fix a system. In order to make lasting change, everyone has to be invested. That’s why in 2020 we added an Advocating for Equity goal as a key metric for individual performance that will be used to benchmark promotions, raises and bonuses.
Every DevaCurl employee will be tasked with ways to meet these goals. Just like company financial results, we will be measured on our individual success in furthering our goals inside and outside of the company.
Check back for more information on our efforts and progress.