Just like our curly hair counterparts, us peeps with wavy hair struggle from time to time when it comes to choosing the right products and styling our hair. On top of dryness and frizz, we also have to deal with a lack of volume which can be defeating when you’re trying to figure out a routine that works for you.
Keep reading to learn all about how to style wavy hair, what products you should be using, and more!
What’s Special About Wavy Hair?
Similar to curls, waves are more fragile than straight hair because of the naturally bendy shape. Many people with waves also have fine and/or thin hair which can really lack body and volume. This means that waves need products that provide lightweight moisture that also smooth, define, and boost volume.
It also means that you may need to style your hair a bit differently than someone with curlier hair would.
How to Style Wavy Hair
If you haven’t found techniques that work for your waves yet, let us help with a few simple tips:
- Don’t use a brush to detangle your waves and definitely don’t detangle them while dry. Wavy hair is fragile and can easily snap or break if you’re too rough with it. Instead, detangle in the shower with your favorite conditioner or use a detangling spray if you’re running into knots when your hair is dry. If you have to use a tool, use a wide tooth comb to detangle.
- After applying your styling products, make sure to scrunch your hair with a microfiber towel. This will not only take out some of that excess water, but it will also help with wave formation and definition.
- Don’t overdo it with the styling products. What we mean by that is you don’t need to use more than 2 styling products and you don’t need to use a lot of each one. As we mentioned before, wavy hair tends to need lightweight products in order to flourish so piling on heavy styling products will only weigh your waves down.
- Try to use styling products that produce a cast around your waves that you have to scrunch out once your hair is dry. This will help to reduce frizz and encourage definition.
- If you’re looking for boosted body and volume, dry your waves with a diffuser. Diffusing your waves cuts down on dry time and also creates some of that va-va-voom volume you’re looking for. Just make sure to always diffuse on a low heat to avoid any heat damage.
Keep in mind that everyone’s waves are different! What works for someone else may not work for you so don’t be discouraged if you have to experiment with different techniques before finding your perfect routine.
Easy Wavy Hairstyles
If you’re looking for a chic hairstyle that will keep your waves out of your face, try this super simple French braid look!
Don’t be afraid to play with accessories such as headbands, clips, pins, and more to really jazz up your waves.
And when your waves just aren’t cooperating, try out an elevated ponytail!
Wavy Hair Products
Although our name is DevaCurl, we also have some awesome products for our wavy friends out there.
- To cleanse and condition, we recommend using Low-Poo Delight and One Condition Delight. Low-Poo Delight is a low-lathering cleanser that gently cleanses the hair while also providing weightless moisture and body. One Condition Delight will give your waves the moisture they need without the weight and will also aid you in detangling.
- To deep condition, try using Heaven In Hair. Heaven In Hair is a deep conditioner that leaves your waves feeling super hydrated and easier to style.
- As for styling products, we have a few great options for waves. WaveMaker is a whipped styler that helps with frizz control and texture. Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam is a lightweight, body-boosting foam which helps creates volume and definition. B’Leave-In boosts your waves and also helps with clumping your waves together to create definition. Lastly, Ultra Defining Gel is our strong hold gel that defines, fights frizz, and amplifies your shine and bounce.
Have any questions about your wavy hair? Leave them below!