Many of us with curly hair grew up hearing that we couldn’t have bangs. If we did take the plunge, we often spent hours blowing them straight.
But curly girls everywhere – from wavies to super curlies – are rocking bangs.
“The moment I saw Natasha Lyonne in Netflix’s Russian Doll, I knew that 2019 was going to be the year of the curly bang,” said Leah Prinzivalli of Allure Magazine.
For those wanting the look, here are some top tips for styling curly bangs:
- Do your research. Look at photos of curly Instagrammers to find photos of styles that you like. Look for a “curl twin” who has your texture. To see if the look is right for you, you might want to fold your hair up or invest in some clip on bangs. Then find an experienced curl stylist who has experience cutting bangs. You may want to go in for a consultation before taking the plunge. It’s a big commitment so make sure you feel confident.
- Find a style that works with bangs. Bangs are a great way to show off your curls and frame your face, but not every style will work with bangs.
- Style them wet. Style them as soon as you get out of the shower. Apply a good styling cream like DevaCurl SuperCream and twist or finger coil the strands.
- Style them separately. Your curly bags require different techniques than the rest of your hair.
- Never rub your hair with your towel. The hair around your face is always more fragile. It’s exposed to more wind and sun, as well as being pulled back the tightest into ponytails and updos. Be gentle with your fringe by using a microfiber DevaTowel and you’ll reduce the risk of frizz.
- Don’t heat-style them every day. Getting your bangs looking good may be a challenge, so some turn to heat to get curls to get them to cooperate. We recommend using heat as infrequently as possible.
- Have patience: If you’ve never had bangs, it may take a while to get used to them and to find the techniques that work best for you. Just know that there are many curlies like you who have discovered the beauty of bangs, and you can, too!