You look in the mirror before heading out the door and your curls are springy and defined. But on the walk between your house and your car, the humidity has turned your ‘do into a cloud of frizz.
Frizz is consistently one of the top concerns for curly girls. But there are ways to combat it!
Here are some tried-and-true methods that help fight frizz when humidity is in the forecast:
- Ditch the Sulfates: Sulfate-based shampoos rob your curls of much-needed natural oils, another cause of frizz. Opt for cleansers like DevaCurl Low-Poo Original and DevaCurl No-Poo Decadence that won’t strip your curls.
- Moisturize: To fight frizz, curls must be moisturized. Daily conditioning is key. Use products like One Condition Daily Cream Conditioner. You may also want to use a good, creamy leave-in conditioner, such as DevaCurl Leave-In Decadence which helps keep curls moisturized.
- The right products: A good gel can help keep frizz and flyaways from creating a halo around your head. Make sure you choose one that’s alcohol- and silicone-free like DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel so curls don’t dry out or look crispy.
- Careful Application: Make sure to apply styling products to soaking-wet curls in sections. This will ensure that the hair will clump into curls. We like to say 10 hairs together is a curl and 10 hairs apart is frizz.
- Block it: Frizz can occur when humid air penetrates the hair shaft causing it to swell. The secret is to use sealers and frizz-controlling stylers that lock-in existing moisture and repel excess moisture in the air. Devacurl Silicone-free High Shine Multi-Benefit Oil helps control frizz and provides a shiny finish.
- Set It: Hairspray can be your friend. It can prevent the curls from separating and can fight that halo of frizz. Unlike older generations of hairsprays, newer ones are flexible rather than stiff, like DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray.
- Plan B: Sometimes, no matter what you do, or what you try, the frizz just wins. And when that happens? Bun it, baby! To downplay the frizz, throw on a cute headband with your bun and rock that top knot!