What better way to start the New Year than hitting re-set on your curl care regimen? We asked Cal Ellis, Education Manager at Devachan salon, to share his recommendations, tips and tricks to keep your curls looking healthy, hydrated, moisturized—and living their best curly life. Read on for Cal’s expert advice!
Prep your curls before bedtime
- Pineapple your curls. Bend over and gather curls on top of your head or even a little toward your forehead and make a ponytail. Try not to use a rubber band or anything tight that will show indentations, use a loose scrunchie or something similar.
- You can also take an old pair of leggings and cut a section off, pull down over your head to your neck, gather your curls and pull the legging (will make a tube) up over to cover curls.
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase rather than a cotton one which can remove moisture.
Prep your curls before applying product
If hydration is an issue, make sure you have a good moisture base before you apply your styling products. I recommend Heaven In Hair, but you can also use Leave-in Decadence (tip: a little goes a long way) or a conditioner of choice. Heaven in Hair may be a deep conditioner, but it’s very light. Here’s how I like to use it:
- Rinse everything out, then take very small amounts of conditioner and apply it into the hair. Take a large section and with some tension, work the product through your hair with your fingers to create silky, ribbon-y pieces. It should look like Udon noodles. These are your future curls, so you want them to be smooth to the ends… how it looks wet is how it’s going to look dry.
- If your fingers are “dragging,” add a little water. If that’s not enough, add more conditioner. If you pull down a section and see product, it’s too much. Once you’ve prepped your curls, drizzle water on your hair until it’s soaking wet. Bend forward, shake your curls so they fall into place and then apply your styling products. I only do this on wavy hair if it’s de-hydrated. If your hair is hydrated and moisturized, I wouldn’t leave any conditioner in. If tangles are an issue, use Wash Day Wonder to detangle, rinse and then go back in with conditioner. Super curly hair may require a little more conditioner.
Deep condition like it’s nobody’s business
Melt Into Moisture is the ultimate deep moisturizing mask. Thoroughly work Melt Into Moisture through damp hair and put on a cap. Leave in for anywhere between 3-20 minutes for best results. For intense nourishment you can also sleep in it overnight. Be sure to rinse out in the morning. Deep Sea Repair is also good to use if your hair is processed or over processed. Deep Sea Repair should be left in no more than 20 minutes.
1st day curls can be 2nd and 3rd day curls with proper maintenance
If frizz is an issue on the 2nd and 3rd day, use these tips:
- Take a dab of B’Leave-In, emulsify and splash a little water on one hand just to get the consistency loose, glaze over the frizz (don’t mash).
- With one finger, glide the product down, bring curls together then scrunch.
- For super curly hair, High Shine or Set It Free are great for maximum moisture. I like to spray product in my hands for even distribution and lightly scrunch into the hair.
- Play around with 2nd and 3rd day hair depending on your needs. For maximum moisture, use cream styling products. I love Wave Maker and Styling Cream and DevaFresh is great if you need something lighter.